Monday, November 29, 2010

Throwback to the 80's.

This pretty much made my day today. I enjoy a good flow chart and 80's love ballads are my favourite.

Total Eclipse of the Heart is now stuck in my head. I'm sure my cubicle neighbour will be sorry she sent this to me as I randomly belt out the tune every so often. This is the pinnacle of flow charts, hands down the best one I've ever seen. Kudos to the genius who created it.

I'm fairly certain that my love of the 80's stems from having a sister who is 7 years older than me. I wanted to do everything and be everything that she was. For example, when I was in grade three I printed a huge Poison banner (Poison was a pretty heavy rock group who used a skull and bones wearing a top hat as their logo). My teacher was concerned and the other kids thought it was weird. I didn't care though, I thought Poison was the coolest band in the world because my sister listened to them. I also knew all the words to all the AC/DC songs ever written and I would bring my cassette to class and dominate the ghetto blaster during lunch hour. Can you picture an 8 year old girl with missing front teeth and a mushroom cut belting out "You...shook me all night long!". There's also a home video of me somewhere lip syncing to "Like a Prayer" by Madonna when I was about 6 years old. When I find it I promise to post it.

I also had a pretty great wardrobe. Awesome hand-me-downs from the 70's and 80's ensured that I was a cool kid. Hairspray, polkadot sweaters, Keds, black gummie bracelets, LA Gear, jean shorts and even the occasional body suit. I also used to wear this fantastic leather bomber jacket that my dad gave to me. There was a Tom Cat patch sewn on the sleeve. How I miss that jacket.

I went through many styles and phases growing up but I always returned to the 80's. To this day I have to control myself when I go shopping. I'll get really excited when I find something I want to buy but when I show it to my shopping buddy I usually get a laugh and a "that's hideous". I play it off like my suggestion was a joke but in actuality I really like it because it's sparkly and colourful. I bought a sweater in my second year of university that was brown with little pink polkadots on it and turquoise hearts sewn along the neckline. My friend laughed at me when I bought it but I wore it all the time and I pulled it off with style. I recently bought a romper (one piece shorts and tube top) and wore it while bike-riding in central park. I own a Ralph Lauren original 80's shirt...it's pink with green stripes. I have bright blue tights, an original red and white Adidas winter pom-pom beret and I have more than one shirt in my closet that has sequins or sparkles all over it. I'm wearing sparkly green nail polish right now.

My music collection consists of, among others, Tina Turner, Guns N' Roses, Def Leopard, Queen, Chris de Burgh...love that Lady in Red! Embarassing? Sometimes, especially when I have friends over. But whatever. I'm old enough to know what I like and I can't deny it. I'm actually hoping to get a bit more bold with my style in the new year. I feel a shopping spree coming on and this time I'm not holding back. My wardrobe's gonna be bitchin'.

I need to get a karaoke machine to appease the 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' diva that's raging in me. It's either that or nothing, and 'nothing' simply won't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment